Thursday, January 18, 2007

Iliad, Books I-III

This isn’t my first time reading The Iliad. Each time I begin it, I am always amazed at the many reasons why people go to war and choose to fight. Achilles notes that “The Trojans never did me damage, not in the least” (Book I, line 180). His purpose in fighting was to secure more glory and riches for Agamemnon. Honor and disgrace play large roles in this decision to battle enemies. The Achaens make no efforts to hide their true aim: they wish to plunder Troy (Book II, line 156). In the end, Mother Earth embraces her children within her arms, leaving wives and children behind (Book II, line 798). These are some of the victims in the war, the ones who suffer.
The portrayal of Helen has always fascinated me. I’ve never really understood her. She had a really good thing going on with Menelaus. Then Paris comes, and Menelaus is suddenly not good enough. She throws away her old life with no regard to any of the consequences. If Hollywood were to present this story it would have Paris and Helen living happily ever after. But Homer shows his audience the honeymoon is over. Paris and Helen both regret the current situation. Helen is “lashing out at her husband” (Book III, line 499) and just rips her lover to shreds. But Helen’s contempt is not enough to cool Paris; his physical appetite has been whetted. Their entire relationship has been built upon sex. This dysfunctional couple seems to be the polar opposite of Hector and Andromache which is represented in Book VI.

No comments: